Terminology Management’s Critical Role in
Successful International Launches
- What is terminology management?
- Why should my organization manage terminology?
- If my Language Service Provider uses a translation memory system, do I still need to create a termbase?
- What do I risk by not having a terminology management strategy?
- When is the best time to start a terminology project?
- Are there any international standards for terminology management?
- What kind of infrastructure is needed for effective terminology management?
Effective, efficient terminology management can make the difference between success and failure when introducing a product or service in a foreign market.
Terminology management is the activity of systematically collecting, processing, and presenting words that have special meaning in a given subject field – with emphasis on the word systematically.
The goal of any terminology management effort is to ensure that the words that are most closely associated with a given organization's products, services, and branding are used consistently – in the source language and in all the languages into which the various types of documents the organization generates are translated into.