The revolution of Chinese New Energy Vehicles
- SALES OF EV IN CHINA AND US (2013-2016)
- WILL THE BATTERY TAKE THE PLACE OF THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE (ICE)?
- WHO ARE THE MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE NEV MARKET?
- WILL CHINA NEVS RESHAPE THE CHINESE AUTO BRAND IMAGE IN THE GLOBAL MARKET?
- CASE 1: GEELY DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM LOCALIZATION
- CASE 2: BAIC MARKETING CONTENT REWRITE
How did NEVs in China come to dominate the global market?
The Chinese government recently introduced the term, new energy vehicles (NEVs). This term includes battery electric vehicles (BEVs) as well as plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs). Since President Xi declared that new energy vehicles would be a path for China to become a strong automotive manufacturer in May 2014, the market has grown rapidly.
From 2013 to 2016, the number of new energy vehicles in the Chinese rose from being under 20,000 per year to more than 350,000 electric cars and over 115,000 electric buses, accounting for 46% of worldwide electric car sales and a whopping 95% of electric bus sales. (Hove, 2017)